furry photographic project

Discussions sur les différents aspects du furry ne rentrant pas dans une autre section.

Modérateurs: modérateurs, admins

furry photographic project

Messagede CarmenDobre » 05 Juil 2010, 00:28

Hello,

My name is Carmen Dobre, I am a photographer and a student of the Master of Photographic Studies at Leiden University, the Netherlands. For the past 6 months I have been developing a photographic documentation of the European furry community in a number of countries such as the Netherlands, the UK (as part of an artist-in-residence program offered by the University of Plymouth and the Fotonow Foundation), Germany and Romania. Now I have arrived in Paris again as a resident artist of the Romanian Cultural Institute and I hope some of you will be willing to collaborate with me. I will be here until July 31 when I will return to the Netherlands.

The end result of this project will be a book published by the University of Plymouth Press and hopefully an exhibition. (We will sign agreements which limit the use of the pictures to the above mentioned venues so as for you to be sure that the pictures will not be published in the press). I would like to stress the fact that I am not a photojournalist and I am not working for any newspaper. I am just an independent art photographer. So as to validate the above, here are some links connected with my past activities:

http://www.icr-london.co.uk/carmen-dobre.php
(this was an artist-in-residence program I did in 2009, you can see some of my photographs there)

http://www.thediplomat.ro/articol.php?id=894
(this is an article about my latest exhibition)

Also I would like to mention that I have recently been nominated for the Henkel Art Award for Central and Eastern Europe for my photographic documentation of the furry community. So I guess this project has begun to have scope and a fair amount of success. Here's a link where you can find one of my photographs from London - http://www.modernism.ro/2010/07/01/cati ... nt-page-1/

The focus of this project is the varied ways in which the members of the furry community understand the furry identity. My research so far has pointed me to the fact that the identification with the fursona can vary from a very strong connection (believing that one's soul belongs to an animal rather that a human) to any other popular culture manifestation (some members state that they don't identify themselves with an animal but for them participating in the fandom is more like a cool thing to do). I am interested in all aspects of the community and the project is not limited to fursuiting. The core of the project consists in 360 panoramic photographs in the fashion of the one from the above link.

I know your community has faced a lot of discrimination in the media and popular culture, so I understand your apprehension when it comes to letting yourself be photographed by a stranger. However, I do think that my work is different and objective, and so perhaps you could give me a chance and at least meet with me for further explanations.

I can understand French but it's very difficult for me to speak and write it. So I hope this English text will do.

Should you care for more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks a lot.

Best,

Carmen (carmen_m_dobre@yahoo.com)
CarmenDobre

Re: furry photographic project

Messagede Sugar-Junkie » 05 Juil 2010, 01:23

I just threw together a rough translation, since some of our members just can't read english, hope that'll help !
Bonjour,

Mon nom est Carmen Dobre, je suis photographe et étudiante en Master Photographie à l'Université Leiden, Hollande. Durant les 6 derniers mois, j'ai rassemblé de la documentation photographique sur la communauté Furry européenne dans un certain nombre de pays, dont la Hollande, l'Angleterre (au cours d'un programme d'artiste résident (?) organisé par l'Université de Plymouth et la fondation Fotonow), l'Allemagne et la Roumanie. Me voilà à présent à Paris, à nouveau en tant qu'artiste résident de l'institut culturel Roumain et j'espère que certains d'entre vous seront d'accord pour collaborer avec moi. Je serais là jusqu'au 31 juillet, jour de mon départ pour la Hollande.

Ce projet aura pour résultat la publication d'un livre par l'édition de l'Université de Plymouth, et, j'espère, une exposition. (Nous signeront un accord délimitant l'usage de vos photos, donc soyez assurés qu'elles ne seront pas publiés dans la presse). J'aimerais souligner le fait que je ne suis pas une photojournaliste et que je ne travaille pour aucun journal. Je suis seulement une photographe d'art indépendante. Pour prouver mes dire, voici quelques liens en rapport avec mes travaux précédents :

http://www.icr-london.co.uk/carmen-dobre.php
(Il s'agit du projet d'artiste résident que j'ai réalisé en 2009, vous pouvez y voir quelques unes de mes photos)

http://www.thediplomat.ro/articol.php?id=894
(un article à propos de ma dernière exposition)

Je voudrais également mentionner que j'ai récemment été nomminée pour le prix d'art Henkel, catégorie Europe Centrale et Europe de l'Est, pour mon travail photographique sur la communauté furry. Je suppose que ce projet a pris de l'envergure et a récolté un certain succès. Voici le lien où vous pourrez voir une de mes photos de Londres - http://www.modernism.ro/2010/07/01/cati ... nt-page-1/

Ce projet se focalise sur les façons variées qu'on les membres de la communauté d'apréhender la communauté furry. Ma recherche a jusque là mis en évidence que l'identification avec la fursona varie d'une très forte connection (âme animale dans corps humain)jusqu'à toute les autres manifestations culturelles populaires (certains membres affirment qu'ils ne s'identifient pas à un animal mais qu'ils participent au fandom plutôt parce que c'est un truc cool à faire) Je suis intéressée par tous les aspects de la communauté et ce projet n'est pas limité au fursuiting. Le coeur du projet consiste en une vue panoramique de 360°, dans le même style que celle du lien ci-dessus.

Je sais que votre communauté a du faire face à beaucoup de discrimination des médias et de la culture populaire, je comprends donc votre appréhension quand on vous demande de vous laisser photographier par un étranger. Néanmoins, je pense que mon travail est différent et objectif, et que peut-être, vous pourriez me donner une chance et au moins me rencontrer pour d'avantage d'explications.

Je comprends le français, mais c'est très difficile pour moi de le parler ou de l'écrire. J'espère que ce texte en anglais fera l'affaire.

Si vous avez besoin de plus d'informations, n'hésitez surtout pas à me contacter.

Merci beaucoup.

Amitié,

Carmen (carmen_m_dobre@yahoo.com)

Anyway, your work sounds pretty interesting, and I'd be glad to help, though I'm not the most "flamming furry" you'll see. So, well, good luck, and see you soon, maybe ?

Dernière édition par Sugar-Junkie le 05 Juil 2010, 11:43, édité 1 fois.
Je te macule :D
Sugar-Junkie
Chat  (Persan)   Non Anthro
Zombie Addicted

Dessinateur
Rôliste

Messagede Vector » 05 Juil 2010, 07:16

Tous aux abris !

Le vu-mètre de mon détecteur d'emmerdes vient de casser !
http://www.lorrainefurs.fr

Membre honoraire de l'Eglise de Jesus Raptor
Vector
Crocodile
I believe I can fly

Sur la Furmap: Vector

Fursuiter, sur la DB: Vector
Vidéaste
Portfolio https://www.youtube.com/user/deeragonfandomvideos -->

Messagede CarmenDobre » 05 Juil 2010, 08:34

Wow, thanks a lot for the translation, Sugar-Junkie!

Vector, what exactly do you mean by "this is bullshit"?
I can assure you this is real and I have the proof for it.
What are your worries more precisely?
CarmenDobre

Messagede CarmenDobre » 05 Juil 2010, 08:37

Sugar Zombie, do you live in Paris?
CarmenDobre

Messagede Sugar-Junkie » 05 Juil 2010, 11:45

It's Sugar-Junkie, but "Sugar" will do ! ;) And yes, I do live nearby Paris.

Vector, tes croco-sens surdéveloppés auraient-ils détectés une menace qui aurait échappé à mon crâne de piaf ?
Je te macule :D
Sugar-Junkie
Chat  (Persan)   Non Anthro
Zombie Addicted

Dessinateur
Rôliste

Messagede Vector » 05 Juil 2010, 13:05

CarmenDobre a écrit:What are your worries more precisely?

It's easier to get confident with older artists because they won't change dramatically their artistic style. We already worked with some confirmed artists after we saw how they work and they treat the furry fandom.

No offense, but you're a very young artist and we have no real history about your artistic style. Your style could change at any time at this point.
http://www.lorrainefurs.fr

Membre honoraire de l'Eglise de Jesus Raptor
Vector
Crocodile
I believe I can fly

Sur la Furmap: Vector

Fursuiter, sur la DB: Vector
Vidéaste
Portfolio https://www.youtube.com/user/deeragonfandomvideos -->

Messagede CarmenDobre » 05 Juil 2010, 20:43

Sorry Vector, but your argument is not fair. What do you mean by style? How does the change of style which is to be expected (or not) in the life of an artist influence my work on this project?

Two issues here:
1. this project has been going on for the past 6 months (time which is sufficient enough for a photographer to make aesthetic choices) and its style is not going to change especially since the book should be published by the end of this year.
2. an artist - young or old - whose work does not change throughout his/her life, does not develop and therefore becomes a "one trick pony". change is desirable and gives value to one's career.

my age should not concern you terribly - it's 32 by the way. The book is published by University of Plymouth Press which is a very respectable publishing house. One of its chief editors is Liz Wells who, if you google search, is one of the most seminal theorists of photography. trust me, an institution like that does not publish junk.

Hope this clears the air a little bit.

oh, sorry for messing up your name, Sugar Junkie!

best,

carmen
CarmenDobre

Messagede CarmenDobre » 05 Juil 2010, 20:47

if you want information on how i collaborated with the furries from the other countries I visited, you can start a thread on http://www.ukfur.org/ or http://www.furry.de/ and ask about me.

i'm sure people would oblige.
CarmenDobre

Messagede Miacis » 05 Juil 2010, 22:34

I'm not sure either why the "changing of style" would be such an emmerde (translated roughly be an harsh "trouble", rather than "bullshit", btw =3). Doing a 360° panorama of the fandom seems quite clear to me.

However, I'd like to ask a little bit about the way you gathered all these furs. How you asked them all (Forums only ? Do you know some ? Have you introduced yourself the same way as now ?), how you gathered them (Did you all spend the afternoon together, have a drink, etc ... ? Or did you just do a photo session with them, then let them have their way ?), and how was the photo session itself (Length, difficulty, etc...).
It's not only for clarifying your request, but also for helping people find if a meeting like that would suit them. :3

(And if would be much quicker for you to sum it up than for us to start a thread about it. Furries are lazy bastards. Everyone knows that. :P)

One last question : Is there a slightly bigger version of the panorama picture that is featured on this website you linked to a bit earlier ? And if there are other pics like that, could we have a look at them ? I'm pretty sure the way you represented fellow furries will affect more people than your professionnal career itself. :wink: (But thanks for giving its professional description anyway. ^^)

Dernière édition par Miacis le 05 Juil 2010, 22:45, édité 2 fois.
Et on fait tourner les signatures ~
~ ça nous fait du vent dans les ... toitures?
Miacis
Renard  (jaune et qui fait Nya)   Anthro
.w.

Sur la Furmap: Miacis

Messagede Vanilla » 05 Juil 2010, 22:38

i prefere trust someone and do a mitake than reject all the people.
my english is not very well , but i a can help carmen i will
i live near paris.
j'etais skyzophrene,a present nous allons mieux

http://www.portal2sounds.com/278
Vanilla
 (panda rousse)

Fursuiter

Messagede CarmenDobre » 05 Juil 2010, 23:02

I have made contact will all the furries who participated in my project via the internet, so in a fashion similar to what I'm doing now. It's up to each individual how they want to proceed, if they want to go for a coffee and talk first or prefer to have the shoot right away. Most of the time, i meet with one person and then that person gets me in touch with friends of theirs. about the length of time, shoots vary in relation to how much the subject can give me. there are locations where I can try several shots and locations which allow fewer options. a typical shoot is 3 hours or so. I also have an interview taken with questions such as: why did you choose this fursona, is being a furry a matter of identity for you, have you been discriminated etc.

I have mentioned before that I take these 360 panoramas. they work like this: I mount the camera on the tripod and take around 70 separate shots which I then stitch in photoshop. therefore the subject has to pose in front of the camera and is at all times aware of what I'm doing. I generally don't give indications, and don't stage anything. the subjects are also free to make suggestions. things really work out on spot. since this is a documentary project, it doesn't require too much preparation.

Unfortunately I can't provide electronic and high resolution versions of my previous work with the furries since they are themselves apprehensive. I can give each photographed individual their own high rez pictures. and also, what I can do is meet with you and show you the material on print, if you can take the time for that.

Also the agreement we'll sign shall state that the images will not carry any defamatory content.

if you have any other questions, fire away.

best,

Carmen
CarmenDobre

Messagede CarmenDobre » 05 Juil 2010, 23:10

penpen a écrit:i prefere trust someone and do a mitake than reject all the people.
my english is not very well , but i a can help carmen i will
i live near paris.

Thanks for your trust and availability!

When would you have time to meet?
CarmenDobre

Messagede Vanilla » 05 Juil 2010, 23:39

talk about it in private
j'etais skyzophrene,a present nous allons mieux

http://www.portal2sounds.com/278
Vanilla
 (panda rousse)

Fursuiter

Messagede Yaps » 06 Juil 2010, 14:02

Dear CarmentDobre,

I understand that you would like to enquire more information about this community. However, some people might be a little to sensitive when it comes to strangers asking direct questions. I would gladly help answer your question, however I am only an art fan and I do not live at all in Europe. Although I classify myself as a new member to this community, I am aware of what Vector is talking about. Due to many media portraying this culture negatively, it is just natural for members to step back. He did not mean to offend anyone and I apologise on behalf of this community if he or any of us have address you in any rude manners.

Quoting:
CarmenDobre a écrit:...what exactly do you mean by "this is bullshit"?...

I do not precisely understand where you have phrased this quote from Vector. I believe it must be a mis-translation of some sort...

penpen a écrit:talk about it in private

As Penpen mentioned, perhaps meeting the members that you are intended to work with will be the first step. Good luck with your photography project,

Sincerely,

PS: Excusez moi pour pas le traduire en Francais.
~Yaps
Yaps
Renard Roux  (Toon)

Suivante

Retourner vers Discussions générales